Inspired by a great little coffee shop in Hastings, Nebraska, I tried my hand at making this Basil Mint Simple Syrup (I also made a basil-only version, which is also great). So far we’ve tried it in raspberry lemonade and in iced tea, but we have some later-in-the-day cocktail plans for it as well.
- Large handful of basil and/or mint leaves (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup almost-boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- Add the basil and mint to a heat resistant jar (like a Mason jar). Pour the hot water over; cover (a small plate works well) and let steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain out the leaves (I poured it through a strainer into a glass measuring cup); add the sugar and return to the jar (this is not as confusing as I’m making it sound).
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and let it cool to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator.