I’m not sure these are technically gingersnaps, since they are soft. But, whatever they should be called, they are my favorite cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups butter (no substitutes), softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and baking soda; add all at once, and mix thoroughly.
- Roll into 1-inch balls, then roll in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until tops crack.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.