This is a versatile recipe that can be easily added to (or subtracted from), depending on what you have on hand. I love what the coconut oil adds to the flavor, but I’ve wondered how it would work to sub in apple sauce or pumpkin puree. The kids love to help make this — they stir up the dry ingredients while I mix up the wet ingredients on the stove.
- 6 cups uncooked rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened (optional)
- 1/2 cup flour (I usually use almond flour, but you could use any kind of flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (or more) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut (if using), flour, spices, and salt. Mix well.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, and vanilla until warm. Pour this mixture over the oats mixture and stir well.
- Spread granola in a thin layer on ungreased cookie sheet (I often use 2 cookie sheets).
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring after 20.
- Let cool, and store in an airtight container.