We’re trying to incorporate a few more vegetarian meals, and I really liked how this grilled tofu turned out. In fact, we liked it so much that for tonight’s dinner I am making chicken on the grill using the same marinade — that way we can use up the leftover veggies as well. Red peppers were crazy expensive, so I just used green. Next time I will probably double or triple the marinade and marinate the veggies as well. And it would be super easy (and delicious) to experiment with different veggies for the kabobs — cherry tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini.
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 1 onion, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 16 medium-sized mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 large green pepper, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red pepper, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil,as needed.
- In a large bowl or flat dish, mix the marinade ingredients.
- Cut tofu into 2-inch pieces, place in marinade, cover and marinate for an hour or more. (Marinate in the fridge two hours or longer.)
- Steam the onions for three to four minutes until tender.
- Alternately thread marinated tofu and vegetables onto skewers.
- Brush the kabobs with oil and place on the bottom rack of the grill. Cook over low heat, turning often for about 10 minutes or until tofu is grilled.