I found this recipe as a newlywed back in St. Louis and looked it up today to use as a mercy meal. This time around I approximated on all ingredients, pouring them into 1- and 2-gallon freezer bags to coat the potatoes and chicken. I purchased a tray of eight thighs, another of 12 (ish?) drumsticks, and used 5 lb of golden potatoes. It gave me 2-9×13 pans and 1-8×8 pan for a total of three meals. Score! And it was delicious to boot.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1/4 pounds white-skinned potatoes, peeled, each cut into 6 long wedges
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I omitted this entirely)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush inside of large roasting pan with 2 tablespoons oil. Combine remaining 4 tablespoons oil, garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano in bowl. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, salt, and pepper. Arrange chicken in single layer in center of prepared pan. Arrange potatoes around chicken. Drizzle chicken with lemon juice and any remaining oil mixture from bowl of potatoes.
- Roast chicken and potatoes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes.