Made for Jeremy’s 42nd birthday. Taken from The Cake Mix Doctor.
Solid vegetable oil for greasing pans
Flour for dusting pans
1 pkg plain devil’s food cake mix
3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 C buttermilk
1/2 C vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 t pure vanilla extract
1) Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350. Generously grease two 9-inch round cake pans with vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out excess flour and set pans aside.
2) Place cake mix, cocoa powder, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. The batter should look well-blended. Divide between prepared pans.
3) Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until cakes spring lightly against your touch and start to pull away from pan. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack. Run a dinner knife around edges and invert onto rack. Cool completely.
4) Frost with White Chocolate Frosting (separate post).
* Place this cake, uncovered, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 20 minutes. Cover the cake with waxed paper and store, in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week. Or freeze, wrapped in aluminum foil for up to 6 months. Thaw cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.