Did you know that quiches freeze really well? So next time pre-formed pie crusts are on sale, consider filling your freezer with a few of these versatile meals. I mix up the egg mixture, pour it into a gallon size freezer bag, set that bag into the deep dish crust, then place the entire meal into a 2-gallon ziplock bag. The nice thing about quiches is that you can add veggies, change cheeses, omit meats, etc. Like I said, versatile.
This recipe comes from my friend Joan Texel.
- 9-inch deep-dish pie crust (unbaked)
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup cubed ham
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tb flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper (opt)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (opt)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese on bottom of crust.
- In a bowl, mix 3 eggs beaten, half & half, ham, mushrooms, salt, (pepper and onions).
- Pour mixture into pie shell over the Swiss cheese.
- Sprinkle Monterey jack cheese and bacon over the top of mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.